Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sleeping on the water


My brother and I decided to sleep out on the water at the cabin last weekend and watch the meteorite shower. We had to put one knee in and then just roll into our raft. I got a picture of Alan after he rolled in his. He didn’t really move for a while for fear he would tip. It was cloudy and we saw about 4meteorites, but the memories are priceless. We wanted something to remember when we were 90. The weather started out great. We paddled out in the lake tied our rafts together and I dropped anchor. I just about capsized because the anchor had a huge knot in it and pulled the side of my raft down to where I was almost taking on water. I pulled it up and Alan spent about 30 minutes untangling the line. Experienced rafters now, we then lowered it slowly. We had great conversation trying to see some meteorites through the clouds. I think I finally fell asleep sometime after midnight. Alan said he actually was up later watching the black clouds in the distance. About 3:30 AM we both sat straight up in our rafts. The wind had come up strong and the rain was coming down. I was paddling for shore (we only had 1 paddle) as Alan was pulling up anchor. We were 6 feet from the dock and just couldn’t seem to get any closer with the wind and rain. After our bedding and clothes were soaked, we then had to get out of our rafts without capsizing. I think we rolled out without a hitch, grabbed our bedding and ran for the cabin. We laughed and laughed and said it was definitely a memorable night. Can't wait till the grandkids are old enough.

No comments: